Go Beyond the Nikon D5100 Manual with this D5100 e Book User’s Guide
Nikon D5100 User’s Guide
My latest e-book, a user’s guide for the Nikon D5100 digital SLR, is called Nikon D5100 Experience – The Still Photographer’s Guide to Operation and Image Creation. This guide goes beyond the manuals to help you set up and learn the camera, plus more importantly when and why to use the various controls, features, and custom settings when photographing. As one reader has commented about my previous Nikon D7000 guide, “This book, together with the manual, is all you need to start discovering the camera’s full potential.”
This instant download Nikon D5100 e book is for those who wish to get more out of their camera and to go beyond Auto and Program modes and shoot in A mode and S mode. To get you started, it includes explanations and recommended settings for all Playback, Shooting, and Setup Menus, Custom Settings, and Movie Mode settings of the D5100. It covers basic dSLR camera functions and exposure concepts for those new to digital SLR photography, and explains more advanced camera controls and operation, such as using the various metering modes and exposure compensation for correct exposure of every image, controlling autofocus modes and focus points for sharp focus of still or moving subjects, and utilizing dramatic depth of field for professional looking photographs. This guide builds on the information provided in the manuals and explains essential settings and information to help you get out there shooting in the real world.
You can preview Nikon D5100 Experience at the following link. The preview shows the Table of Contents and Introduction, a sample D5100 Menu Settings page, a sample Custom Settings page, and a sample text page.
Nikon D5100 Experience not only covers the various settings, functions and controls of the Nikon D5100, but it also explains when and why to use them for your photography. The guide focuses on still-photography with a brief introduction to the movie menus and settings to get you up and running with video. Sections include:
- Setting Up Your D5100 – All of the D5100 Custom Settings and Playback, Shooting, and Setup Menus, with brief descriptions and recommended settings for practical, everyday use. Set up and customize the advanced features of your dSLR to work best for the way you photograph.
- Aperture Priority Mode (A) and Shutter Priority Mode (S) – How and when to use them to create dramatic depth of field or to freeze or express motion.
- Auto Focusing Modes and Area Modes and Release (Drive) Modes – How they differ, how and when to use them to capture sharp images of both still and moving subjects. Also how and when to use focus lock.
- Exposure Metering Modes of the Nikon D5100 – How they differ, how and when to use them for correct exposures in every situation. Also how to make use of exposure lock.
- Histograms, Exposure Compensation, Bracketing, and White Balance – Understanding and using these features for adjusting to the proper exposure in challenging lighting situations, and setting custom white balance.
- Composition – Brief tips, techniques, and explanations, including the creative use of depth of field.
- The Image Taking Process – A descriptive tutorial for using the settings and controls you just learned to take photos.
- Photography Accessories – The most useful accessories for day-to-day and travel photography including accessories specific to the D5100.
- Introduction to Video Settings – Some basic settings to get you started
This digital guide to the Nikon D5100 is a 70 page, illustrated PDF document that expands upon the information found in the D5100 manuals, to help one begin to master their dSLR and learn to use the Nikon D5100 to its full capabilities! It is packed with helpful information applicable to the new and intermediate dSLR photographer – to begin to turn you into an advanced digital photographer!
Author: Douglas Klostermann
Format: PDF – Instant Download – read on your computer, print on your printer, transfer to your iPad, Android, or other tablet, transfer to your Kindle, Nook or other e-reader.
Page Count: 70 pages, illustrated
(plus 6.25% sales tax for residents of Massachusetts)
Secure payment with PayPal or Credit card
This PDF version is 8.5″x11″ and can be read on your computer, printed, or loaded to your tablet, e-reader, or iPad or iPhone following these instructions on the FAQ page
Other versions of Nikon D5100 Experience e-book:
The Kindle edition is available on Amazon.com
The Nook edition is available on BarnesandNoble.com
The iPad and iPhone version is available through Apple’s iTunes or through the iBooks App on your mobile device.
What Readers are Saying about Nikon D5100 Experience:
I read it from front to back in one sitting, playing with the camera as I went along, and I found it covered all the major things I was having trouble with. It left me much more confident about focusing and exposure issues particularly. If you are new to DSLRs or want to bypass hours of hunting through manuals, this is great. There are many sensible real-world suggestions for configuring the camera that are very helpful, the author writes clearly and concisely, and his approach is accessible and friendly. If you’re having trouble getting going with your new camera, I think this is well worth it.
Great manual! This book made it much easier to operate my new Nikon D5100. It basically expands on the manual that comes with the camera and tells you what each setting is and what you should set it at. It also gave me some great pointers on Aperture priority mode, Shutter and ISO. Highly recommended!
From beginners to experienced users: This guide is very useful for beginners to experienced users. When you buy this kind of camera you want to understand the best ways to freeze moments which is exactly explained in this book. This book is written in a human way by an experienced photographer who gives you the tips you need to create a beautiful picture – how to prepare your camera, create shortcuts, or activate such options to make you efficient in the field. I would recommend this e-book to every new Nikon D5100 buyer!
What Readers are Saying about Doug’s previous guide, Nikon D7000 Experience:
This book, together with the manual that came with your camera, is all you need to start discovering the full potential of the D7000.
It’s the first guide I’ve read which has taken me through all the settings in an understandable way. I now feel that I have control over the camera.
I would recommend this to anyone who wants to get a quick start to using the D7000. Manuals are nice, but this eBook highlights the important information and gives a quick easy to understand explanation of most all of the functions and controls.
I found the Nikon manual good for understanding how to set things up but not much on the why – this book really focuses on the “why.” I would like to thank you for saving me time – now I’m confident that my camera is well tuned!
This manual is a clearly written, concise and useful explanation of the rationale for the seemingly infinite and often confusing settings options for the D7000. Used in conjunction with the Nikon manual I feel a bit more confident in understanding how to at last proceed in getting better photographs.
It’s clear, concise and gets to the heart of the camera’s multiple and often confusing options. Very highly recommended – for experienced user and beginner alike. As previous reviewers have remarked, the official manual is very good on what to do, but not so clear on why.
Learn to use your D5100, quickly and competently, to create the types of images you want to capture. The Nikon D5100 is a sophisticated and customizable tool, and this guide explains how to start to use it to its full capability. It will help you begin to take control of your camera, the image taking process, and the photos you create.
See and buy the Nikon D5100 with 18-55mm Lens on Amazon $899
See and buy the Nikon D5100 – Body Only on Amazon $799
Any other purchase on Amazon.com (use this link or any of my Amazon links to help support this blog. Thanks!)
I have also created a video introduction to the D5100 autofocus system:
- Nikon D600 E-Book User’s Guide Now Available!
- Go Beyond the Nikon D7000 Manual with this D7000 e-Book User’s Guide
- Nikon D5100 Experience e-book user’s guide Now Available!
- The First Nikon D7100 e book user’s guide Now Available!
- Best-Selling, Most Popular Guide to the Nikon D5100 Currently Available
Comments are now closed.
Search This Blog
- New and Hidden Features of the Nikon D7500
- Setting up the Menus and Custom Settings of the Nikon D7500
- Canon 77D vs 80D Beyond the Specs – Hands On Differences
- The First and Best Canon 77D User’s Guide now Available!
- Setting up the Menus and Custom Functions of the Canon 5D Mark IV
- Tips and Tricks, Hidden Features of the Nikon D500
- Nikon D500 Setup Guide Spreadsheet
- The First and Best Canon EOS 5DS / 5DS R User’s Guide now Available!
- Canon 5DS / 5DS R Setup Guide with Recommended Settings
- Nikon D7200 Setup Guide with Recommended Settings
Did I help you choose a camera? Click below to shop at my favorite stores and help support this blog!
One of My Latest E-Books
Nikon D750 dSLR
Popular Classic Posts
Taking Advantage of the Canon 5D Mark III/ Mark IV Autofocus System
Taking Control of Your Canon Autofocus System
Using the Nikon Autofocus System
Best Canon Lenses or Which Lens Should I Buy Next
dSLR Photography Gear, Accessories, and Books
Hidden Features of the Nikon D500
How to Start Out as a Humanitarian Photographer
- Books (33)
- Canon 5D Mark IV (2)
- Canon 5D Mk II (3)
- Canon 5D Mk III (13)
- Canon 5DS / 5DS R (3)
- Canon 60D (26)
- Canon 6D (6)
- Canon 70D (6)
- Canon 77D (3)
- Canon 7D (24)
- Canon 7D Mk II (10)
- Canon 80D (2)
- Canon EOS (dSLR, Mirrorless) (95)
- Canon T2i / 550D (5)
- Canon T3i / 600D (12)
- Canon T4i / 650D (7)
- Canon T5i / 700D (5)
- Cusco (30)
- Depth of Field (7)
- dSLR Accessories (9)
- eBooks (52)
- FAQ (2)
- Gear (109)
- Guatemala (5)
- Humanitarian Photography (25)
- Lenses (16)
- Mirrorless Cameras (1)
- Nikon D3300 (2)
- Nikon D500 (3)
- Nikon D5100 (18)
- Nikon D5200 (7)
- Nikon D5500 (2)
- Nikon D600 (10)
- Nikon D610 (5)
- Nikon D7000 (15)
- Nikon D7100 (8)
- Nikon D7200 (3)
- Nikon D750 (4)
- Nikon D7500 (3)
- Nikon D810 (6)
- Nikon Df (3)
- Nikon dSLR (63)
- Peru (47)
- Photographic Process (19)
- Photography (219)
- Resources (8)
- Technique (43)
- Travel (53)
- Uncategorized (8)
- Video (1)
- Volunteering (15)